Sunday, February 17, 2013

Valentine's Day in Singapore

Valentine's Day started with a face time chat with Erin.  She was VERY excited because she has an interview scheduled with the Miami Dolphins.  They are definitely not her favorite football team, and it would take her further south, rather than north, but a job would be great!  So please keep her in your prayers.

My plan for Valentine's Day was to go out and about, and see how the Singaporeans celebrate.  I was sure it was not as elaborate as it is in the U.S., especially since it was falling during the Chinese New Year Celebration.  However, my plans were foiled by a steady downfall that continued through most of the day.  Also, I had an appointment scheduled with our complex manager, to check on some of the glitches in our apartment.  There was a brief respite from the rain during her visit, but, by the time we finished checking on the hot tub, I was literally dripping from the humidity in the air.  I am a "Hall"!

Due to the weather, Rich and I weren't able to go out and buy each other Valentine presents, as we had planned.  He also had an awful time getting home after work, for our "date", because taxis were in extreme demand.  It took 3 phone calls before a cab actually showed up to bring him home.  He had wanted to stop somewhere to get flowers, but I told him that flowers were very high-priced at this time, due to Chinese New Year, followed by Valentine's Day so closely.  Plus, I would rather get potted plants for out deck.  The market, to which Michelle had taken me, had a wide assortment.  My plan was to wait for it to reopen on Feb. 22nd.

We tried to get a reservation at the pizza restaurant that's very close to our apartment, and had been given very good reviews.  Our plans were foiled again, because the available reservations were at 6:30 or 9:30 PM.  On a good day, Rich isn't likely to get home by 6:30.  On a rainy day, it's nearly impossible.  And waiting 'til 9:30 would make for a very grouchy Rich, and that is not who I wanted to spend Valentine's Day with.  So, we opted for carryout pizza.  When we got there to pick up our pizza, there were many "Reserved" tables, with nobody sitting at them.  I don't know if people were late due to the weather, or if they were just no-shows.  When Rich asked about it at work the next day, his coworkers said, "That's Singapore!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home