Thursday, February 7, 2013

Finishing Shopping and It's Time to Eat!

Our last stop at the fresh market was the vegetable stall that Michelle had frequented since she was young.  You took a basket and filled it with the vegetables you wanted to buy.  Everything looked and smelled so fresh.  I did have to laugh at the celery wrapped in plastic with "Product of USA" printed on the side.  I made my choices, and gave my basket to Michelle's "Uncle".  I had apparently bought vegetables like a foreigner, because I had much less than Michelle, and my purchase cost $2 more!

With our shopping completed, we headed to the hawker stalls for brunch.  Michelle introduced me to "porridge" with meat or fish.  It's the consistency of oatmeal, but tastes like soup.  You could have it with pork, or chicken, or raw fish.  I chose chicken and Michelle chose pork strips and minced pork.  They sprinkle it with scallions, and it's very tasty.  Michelle says her oldest son, Alex, loves it, and it's a great comfort food.  It was very tasty!  Ben got me a lovely local iced tea to drink.

We don't have "Pig's Organ Soup" in the US.
My porridge with pork and a fritter.
After a busy morning, Ben and Michelle dropped me at my apartment, and headed into a festive holiday weekend.  I'll never to repay them for all their kindness...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home