Sunday, September 15, 2013

Shopping at the Ion Center

I had seen an ad for the grand opening of a Cath Kidston store at the Ion Center, one of Singapore's nicest malls.  Cath Kidston sells purses, totes, etc., with prints that were inspired by nature, and therefore appealing to me.  When I found the store, it was a madhouse!  Because Cath Kidston is a London designer, they had pretend royal guards outside the store for photo ops.  The store itself was about as big as my living room and dining room, with displays, customers, and clerks taking up every available space.  I made my way a few feet into the store, looked at several bags, discovered that they were vinyl AND that their prices were in the $100 range.  I don't care how cute the print is.  I'm not paying $100 for a vinyl tote!

Instead, I headed down to Daiso, the $2 Japanese store and bought 28 items.  I was really excited by the display of Halloween merchandise, and took pictures for my daughter, Danielle, the Halloween lover.  I was dying for a Subway tuna sub, but found out that the Subway at the Ion Center was no longer there.  If I had been in an adventurous mood, I could have tried many other types of food, but I had my taste buds set for a tuna sub.  I headed to the subway, and one of the many Subway restaurants between the Clarke Quay MRT station and my apartment.

I did discover some really interesting sculptures at the Ion Center and the Central Mall.  There was a sculpture of Van Gogh carrying a suitcase, but missing 1/2 of his body at the Ion Center.  The artist explained that it had to do with expanding boundaries.

Mooncakes are an important delicacy sold for the Mid Autumn Moon Festival, which falls on September 19th this year.
The "Van Gogh au Chevaulet" sculpture at the Ion Center. 



Halloween items at Daiso.



I think I have the same flamingo...

...that's in the window of a shop at the Central Mall.













Traditionally, they're made with egg yolks and lotus paste.  A vendor at the Central Mall decided to showcase different types of "Mooncake" sculptures to bring attention to their wares.  I thought they were quite amusing! 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home