Friday, May 17, 2013

Shopping at Vivo City

Michelle was having Ollie's 4th Birthday Party on Saturday, so my plan for Wednesday was to head to Vivo City.  People in my complex had told me that there was a Toys r Us there, and that was THE place to get pool toys.  I love the pool and pool toys, maybe because I've always lived in Chicago previously, and pool season in Chicago is 3 months at most!

I jumped on the MRT (subway) at Clarke Quay, and it was an easy 3 stops until I reached the Harbourfront Station.  When I exited the subway turnstiles, I was in Vivo City Shopping Mall.  It is amazing that you always enter the mall from the subway through the food section!  I had eaten lunch before I left, so I didn't need any food - yet!

I eventually got my bearings and figured out where the Toys r Us was located.  Of course it was on the opposite side of the 2nd floor from where I was standing!  As I walked in its direction, I noticed a large wooden deck outside the mall.  When I went out to investigate, I found myself looking across at Sentosa.  Sentosa is Singapore's newly developed island resort area.  In addition to many resort hotels, it is also home to Universal Studios - Singapore.  There was a train and cable gondolas to get you to the island from Vivo City.  I never realized how easy it would be to get there!

The first thing I noticed when I walked toward Toys r Us was a large Merlion made from Lego bricks in its entrance.  I took a picture from every angle for Joe.  Then I paid for a cart and headed to the Barbie aisle.  (That is always my first stop in a toy store!)  There were some interesting things, but nothing I couldn't find in the States.  Then I found the pool toys.  The kids in my complex like to play with these little nerf-like squirt guns, called water cannons.  They look like 2 foot pool noodles, but they suck up the water and shoot it as far as 30 feet.  There were several designs, but I went for the "Max Eliminator".  I got some for Ollie, and his brothers, Alex and Max.  I also got two for me and Rich to have a water fight.  I also got some for my kids.  We don't have a pool at home, but I figured we could each have a bucket in the back yard, and have a big water fight some warm day.  I also got Ollie a giant inflatable turtle to ride on in the pool.  I bet Ben will have fun blowing that up!  Before I left, I noticed that Mega Blocks has new Barbie building kits.  How fun!  But again, I'm sure I can find them in the States, rather than paying Singapore prices and carrying them in my luggage.  I had to get out of the store, as I had spent enough money, and the sounds from all the different promotion videos for all the new toys was driving me crazy!

Before I got back onto the MRT, I did stop at one of the food stores to get a chocolate bun.  It was quite tasty.  Right after I gobbled it down, though, I noticed a sign at McDonalds advertising a vanilla and butterscotch ice cream cone for $1.  I wished I had waited...
Sentosa, as viewed from Vivo City.

The cable gondolas that take passengers to Sentosa.

A panoramic view of Singapore's Harbourfront and Sentosa.

A snowman outside the mall?

A closer view of the snowman's 3 tiers.

Toys r Us and the Merlion.

A closer view of the Merlion, in which you can see the Lego bricks.

Front view of the Lego Merlion.

A view of the Lego Merlion from the other side.

This fountain and sculpture are outside the Clarke Quay MRT Station, and I had never noticed them before!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home