Friday, May 17, 2013

Fabric Shopping on Arab Street

After the book lecture and lunch, I headed to Arab St.  Michelle had told me that there were many exotic fabrics to be found on that street.  As I was waiting for my bus, I noticed what looked like a large temple.  I had gone down this street many times during my stay, but had never investigated before.  It turned out that the building was the Chinese Chamber of Commerce.  Now it made sense that the large, multi-leveled building was not a temple, but looked like one.

After I exited the bus, I was met with many Arabesque sights and smells.  I was absolutely magnetized by a large mural on a restaurant wall.  I passed many street cafes, from which delicious smells wafted out.  One restaurant, with its porcelain-tiled tables and decorated benches looked really interesting, and had a great menu.  I would like to come back with Rich, but I have to check the reviews first, because it was absolutely empty.  It was mid-afternoon at the time, but other restaurants had patrons.  I saw a beautiful mosque, and an area near the mosque had recently been redeveloped, to acknowledge the trading route that has always existed between Oman and Singapore.

Arab Street was filled with shops that sold material and rugs, as well as sewing stores and seamstresses.  There were so many types of material, many of them catering to the Arab community for special occasions.  It got too overwhelming walking among all the material; especially because I did not have a specific project or projects in mind.  Because it was hot and humid, and I needed to find a bathroom, I went to a nearby mall to collect my thoughts.  I stopped at a store, where a very nice Arab woman explained the uses of several types of women's dress.  Then I found a store that sold fun, inexpensive jewelry.  I could deal with this!  I found some cute things for my girls at home.  I wandered back down Arab Street, and found some pashminas, but was still overwhelmed, so I called it a day.  I would definitely like to return to that area when I have a project in mind!  I found my Lamborghini, and headed home.


The Chinese Chamber of Commerce.

I loved this mural!


The Mosque.

These murals...

...depict the Maritime...

...and Trade connections...

...that continue with Oman to this day.

"The arches reflect Kampong Glam's role as a hub for Arab Traders in Singapore's early history."

This is the cute little restaurant that I saw...



...with its pretty tiled tabled and benches - but no patrons!

Here's my Lamborghini.

I wish Rich had gotten it in red.  Red is my color!  But baby blue will have to do...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home