Monday, February 18, 2013

Exploring Older Singapore

On Saturday, Rich and I took a bus to one of the older areas of Singapore.  These buildings were mostly 2-stories, with a shop of some kind on the lower level.  Many of the shops had displays in Chinese only.  There were small grocery shops, prepared foods from many nationalities, hardware stores, lighting shops, car repair shops, and builders.  Unfortunately, many of the corner bars where the guide books said "you should have a drink and watch the world go by" were not open yet.  We did see many tourists racing off to their buses with their suitcases in tow.  Later, Rich asked me if I had noticed all the women dressed in short skirts and heels, hanging out in doorways.  I had!

On our way home, we jumped off the bus at Haji Lane, or Arab Street.  There were many quaint boutiques and cute cafes, but, again, the cafes wouldn't open 'til later in the evening.  It was still fun to walk around, and I did buy a nice necklace.

When we returned home, I figured how the baking feature of our microwave works.  I cooked a 7 inch fresh vegetarian pizza that I had found at the grocery store.  Finally, they had something besides pepperoni or Hawaiian pizza!  I think I may be the only American in the world who does not like pepperoni.  Oh, well.

They had this light-up mannequin with artwork in one of the boutiques.

A "Lion Drum Performance" that we passed in Old Singapore.

I loved this Golden Bird Sculpture as we headed to Haji Lane.

A store sign outside one of the boutiques.

Love this hot pink bicycle with the leopard seat!

This is the head of the snake lantern from Chinatown.

We had to check out the Flamingo Shop!

More Chinese lanterns in Chinatown, as viewed from the bus.

We have these flowers outside our apartment complex.
After lunch, Rich headed to a mall that is very near our apartment that is supposed to have lots of furniture stores.  My recent trips to Singaporean furniture stores made me hesitant to accompany him.  Plus, I wanted to go for a swim, and wait for the "Lion Drum Dance Performance" to come to our apartment complex.  My swim was rained out, but Rich had a very successful shopping expedition, and I did get to see the "Lion Drum Dance Performance".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home