Monday, February 4, 2013

Getting into our New Home

Friday, February 1st, was an exciting day for us.  We left our hotel, with all of our baggage, and headed to our new apartment.  Samuel, our Maxi Cab driver, was able to load all of our stuff into his cab, and still leave room for us - barely!  We got to the apartment complex early, and Samuel dumped us and all of our stuff into the parking lot to await representatives from the complex management team.  Yvonne, a beautiful, petite woman, in a black dress with a sparkly jacket and heels, helped Rich to schlepp the bags and boxes into the elevator and up to our apartment, as I stood guard duty in the parking lot.  (How's that for good planning?)   Michelle, our Real Estate Agent, who must have the same planner as me, arrived just as we were ready to put the last items into the elevator.
I was stunned as I got the first views of our new home!!!  Rich really outdid himself!!!  The first floor has the kitchen, guest bedroom, guest bathroom, "maid's room", and plenty of space for eating and watching TV.  The second floor has the master bedroom and bathroom, and a separate room that could be another family room, and the deck with a hot tub.  The rooms have storage everywhere, so we will not need dressers or anything for storage - except maybe some plastic bins.  The complex itself, has a pool with plenty of umbrella tables, and an exercise room.
After going through the checklist and getting our keys, Rich headed off to his first day of work.  Michelle stayed with me, as Alex, our StarHub representative, set up our cable, internet and home phone.  When he was finished, she took me to the local mall for lunch, and more shopping.  She introduced me to the restaurant in the food court, in which you pick out your fish and vegetables, your noodles, and your broth or no broth.  She did not laugh at my pathetic attempts to eat my food with chopsticks!
In the mall, we bought pillows and a comforter.  Then we went grocery shopping.  Because Singapore is an island nation, with no manufacturing or faming, everything has to be imported, and prices are quite high!  For example, a 6-pack of beer costs between $14 and $18!  I feel as if I returned to our apartment with more sticker shock than food...  Rich and I will definitely let any food go to waste here!

My view of the back of the maxi cab, as we traveled from the hotel to our apartment.

Samuel, our maxi cab driver, and all of our stuff.



Our new living room.





Michelle, eating steamed fish and rice vermicelli.
Rich's 1st day at the office, which I had anticipated.  However, since I had NO furniture, I was rather grouchy when he arrived home at 7:45.  He very wisely took me out to dinner right away!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home