Friday, April 12, 2013

Going to the Katong District and Taking a Thai Cooking Class

Monday was my favorite day since I've been in Singapore!!!  It started in the usual way, with a trip to the pool to do water aerobics.  As I was finishing, I got a text from Michelle, asking me if I would like to go out for an early lunch with her and Ben before our cooking class at 2 PM.  She and Ben picked me up and took me to the Katong District.  The Peranakan (Straits Chinese) made money in other areas, and came to Singapore to build villas and mansions along the seaside.  Unfortunately, after Singapore gained its independence in the 1960's, land was at a premium, and the government was forced to create more land on which people could live, so that area is no longer on the seaside!

Ben, Michelle, and I had our lunch at "Katong Laksa".  Laksa is a spicy Malay noodle dish.  It has the spiciness of chili, but more the consistency of soup.  "Katong Laksa" is world famous for its laksa.  Ben also got us some shrimp paste cooked in a leaf, to put on top of the laksa, and a Chinese salad that you ate with long wooden spears.  It was a wonderful meal!

After lunch, we took a stroll through the area.  We stopped at a shop called "Rumah Kim Choo".  Ben told me that "Rumah" means house, so we were at the House of Kim Choo.  There they sold kebayas, which are traditional Singaporean jackets.  They can make a custom jacket for you, but that makes it much more expensive.  Michelle and I tried some of the jackets on, and I chose a salmon colored jacket that Ben and Michelle said was a good complement to my hair color.  I also got a set of 3 brooches connected with thin chains that hold the front of the jacket together, as there are no buttons.  I tried it with a metal belt, but Michelle said that's what old ladies wear.  Heaven forbid!  Why would they even give me that option?  The shop also sold traditional beaded shoes, which cost somewhere in the area of $250.  They had jewelry for sale, and ancient wedding brooches and bags on display.  It was a really fun and interesting shop, and I can't wait to go there again.  Ben says that I need to bring Rich to get him a traditional shirt.  Mission accepted!

After that we walked back toward our parking spot, stopping at bakeries along the way.  At one shop I bought little coconut jelly squares, little puffs rolled in coconut and filled with a sweet coffee flavored syrup, a small loaf of their original white bread which looked like angel food cake, and a jar of coconut jelly.  Rich loves coconut.  At another bakery, I bought a long thin loaf of wholemeal bread with walnuts and raisins, and a package of 2 "Apple Crumbles", which are like 2 miniature apple pies.  Rich thought the crust might be made with rice.  The bite I had was yummy.  Michelle said that Ben is quite the foodie, and many of their trips center on local cuisine.  She said that it is all her fault that she gained weight.  By Tuesday morning, when I had sampled some of my purchases, I tended to agree with her!

After our lunch excursion, Ben dropped us off at a Community Center located near their apartment. Michelle had introduced me to the Community Center concept the previous Friday.  Community Centers are like our park districts, and they offer all types of classes.  Michelle also told me about registering for a "Passions Card".  The "Passions Card" makes registering for classes easier and less expensive.  They can also keep you updated through email for items that are of interest to you; your passions!  Some suspicious people think it's a way for the government to keep track of your movements, but that's another story.

After my dilly-dallying in Katong, we arrived at the Community Center after the Thai Cooking Class had started - and we still had to register.  But, "no worries"*.  Upon arriving in the classroom, we were each given a handout with the recipes very well explained.   We had missed the preparation of the "Sweet Pork", but the recipe looks very clear cut.  As long as I can figure out where to get the ingredients, I should be able to make these things.  They were making "Longan Glutinous Rice with Coconut Milk" when we walked in.  Then we made "Shrimp Paste Fried Rice", and, finally, "Green Papaya Salad".  We were supposed to bring small containers to bring samples home with us, but Michelle and I had not gotten that memo.  Again, "no worries"*.  They put our samples into little baggies with string closures to carry them.  I served all the samples with the chicken that I broasted for dinner, and Rich loved them.  The papaya salad was too spicy for me, but I liked everything else.  I can't wait for next week's class, where I'll arrive on time with containers!

*"No worries" is a favorite Singaporean saying.  Most often, when you apologize for any reason, that will be the response.

The food stall where they sell "Famous Katong Laksa".



Katong Laksa with shrimp paste on top.

Chinese salad with wooden picks.  The shrimp paste in the leaves is in the  background.

The tiled stairs leading to the kebaya shop.


The sign above the door of the shop.  Rumah Kim Choo means House of Kim Choo.

A custom kebaya being made.  Check out the peacock feathers on the blue material!

An assortment of traditional items for sale.

A kebaya and sarong.


Another kebaya hanging in plastic.

Jewelry and handbags for sale next to an old family photo in frame with seashells.

Preparing the fried rice and accompaniments. 



Classmates watching and photographing the fried rice being cooked.

The fried rice and accompaniments.

Preparing the green papaya salad as seen in overhead mirror.




Some beaded shoes at Rumah Kim Choo.

Brooches, bangles and necklaces for sale at Rumah Kim Choo.
The fried rice with sweet pork and condiments, the green papaya salad, and the glutinous rice with coconut milk.
   



My kebaya and the brooch closures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home