Thursday, April 4, 2013

Visiting Chinatown

When I had gone to Marina Bay Sands with Michelle, Denise, and Ollie, I had noticed a young woman putting on a purple wrap-around skirt with golden elephants on it.  I asked Michelle where I could find a skirt like that, as a wrap-around skirt is size-less!  She told me to look in Chinatown or Little India.  Now that I knew how close Chinatown is to our apartment, and our BBQ was over, so I could concentrate on other things, it was time for a shopping excursion in Chinatown!

My first stop was to a department store, called OG.  I had passed it many times on the bus, and had heard that it carried larger sizes.  I didn't find anything to fit me, but I did find some lovely Chinese "Special Occasion Dresses".  One of the really interesting things about Singapore is that it is a home to many cultures.  All of those cultures have their particular dress customs.  I have not attended anything as fancy as a wedding, so I'm not sure if young people still follow the cultural traditions, or if things have become so much of a melting pot.  I just know what I have seen in stores, and I do know that Alex, Max, and Ollie Lim had their traditional Chinese garb on for Chinese New Year.

After OG, I wandered around the area, looking for the market stalls that I saw on my way home on the 51 bus.  I seriously considered taking the 51 bus away from my apartment for a short distance, and then going 2 streets over, and taking it toward home, so I could find what I was looking for.  However, I decided that I was better than that, and I could find it on my own.  I did eventually find the stalls, and it was such a fun area.  They sold all kinds of knick knacks and souvenirs.  There were Chinese Calligraphers, jewelry, fabric, tailors, beautiful lace table runners, juice served in coconuts, etc.  But I was on a mission to find a wrap-around skirt, and I was unable to locate any.  I did see a sign for larger sized clothes and shoes, that would be open the next day at noon with a new shipment.  Since my flip flops had become flops the previous week, I decided to pay that stall a visit the next day.  
I love the colors,.....

...the cuts,...

...and the embroidery on these "Special Occasion Dresses" in Chinatown.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home