Friday, March 8, 2013

I Finally Made Something Good; "Hainanese Chicken Rice"

A close-up of the chicken and rice...

... and the table with the chicken, rice, and sauces.
On Tuesday, I used the headless whole chicken I had gotten at the Fresh Market to make chicken rice.  It was made with "Best Singapore Favourites Ready-to-Cook Sauce Kit for Hainanese Chicken Rice". The kit had a premix to put in the water as you boiled the chicken.  It also had some fragrance oil to put into the rice.  It had Sesame Soya Sauce Oil to pour over the cooked chicken and cucumber slices.  Finally, it had Chili Sauce, Ginger Sauce, and Dark Soya Sauce to serve with the chicken and rice.  It was very tasty, but I did boil the chicken a bit more after we ate, because there was still a lot of pink.  The recipe had told me to boil it for 30 minutes, but I had boiled it for an hour.  I boiled it for another 45 minutes to an hour after dinner, too.

Rich had a Drinks Meeting that evening, but he stopped at home to eat some dinner first.  After the Prawn Mee Disaster, I was happy that he had an engagement that evening.  I knew that even if the Chicken Rice was terrible, he wouldn't starve!  Of course, since we had a backup plan, the Chicken Rice was very good.  And, as a bonus, I have lots of chicken stock in the freezer to use as I attempt to cook like a Singaporean again!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home