Sunday, February 24, 2013

Going Back to Tiong Bahru Market

The Lion Drum Procession at Tiong Bahru Market, blessing many stalls.
After Rich went to work on Friday, I headed back to Tiong Bahru Market.  I had checked the bus information, and it was only 4 stops away.  Michelle Tan had told me that this would be the first time it would be open since CNY.  Rich had left cash for me, but not as much as I needed/wanted.  However, as I entered the market, I saw that there was a UOB ATM right by the entrance.  As I wasn't sure if I really needed money, I foolishly didn't get any at that time.

Once inside, I tried to get my bearings, based upon the last time, when I had gone with Michelle and Ben.  I needed to retrace the steps I had taken with her, so I could find her "uncle", the pork seller, her "uncle", the prawn man, and her "uncle", the vegetable man.  I found the vegetable man pretty easily.  I also found my friend, the Bali coffee man.  The prawn man wasn't there that day.  Darn!  Another week without beheading prawns!  There were many pork sellers, but I couldn't recognize Michelle's "uncle", and I couldn't get in contact with her.  Finally, after about half an hour, she picked up my call on the 3rd try.  Based upon her information, I'm pretty sure I went to the right pork seller.  I also bought eggs, salmon, and fruits, but don't know if I bought from reputable sellers.

Finally, I wanted to buy some plants for our deck.  This is what I wanted for our Valentine's Day flowers to each other.  To do this, I needed more cash.  Unfortunately, I was so busy retracing my steps with Michelle when I entered the market, I forgot to take notice of where I was entering.  There are literally exits everywhere!!!  After asking 3 ladies, I was able to find the UOB ATM again.  With cash in hand, I went to the plant seller I had decided to patronize.  He spoke very little English, but  he was able to communicate which plants could handle "much sun, much water", as they would get lots of both on my deck.  After I paid, he bagged my plants, and carried them outside, and helped me hail a cab.  No Hawker Stall Food for me that day, but next time, I'll make sure to eat before I buy plants.

By the time I returned home, I was dripping.  I was also scratched, had a splinter, and got locked out on my deck for a short period, when my door wouldn't open.  Scary stuff - especially with the sun beating down upon me, and I wasn't sure what to do, and who could help me!  But I calmed down, and the door opened eventually.  It was now pool time.  I hadn't done my water aerobics, yet, and it was a beautiful day.

I think this white flower is very interesting!

My $30 worth of plants from Tiong Bahru Market.
The pool was more crowded than usual, maybe because it was a Friday, a beautiful, sunny day, and later than normal for me.  I was a little self-concious doing my water aerobics, but it wasn't like I was doing anything unseemly!  So I did my routine, and sat out in the sun to read the fun part of the paper.  The night before, as we were waiting for our cab to arrive, I had met the "crazy security guard".  There was a man who had hit the "Taxi Call Bell", and nothing had happened, so he went to the guard station, to ask the guard to put the taxi light on.  The guard came over, and went into a 5-minute soliloquy on the bell not working sometimes.  When I asked Rich what she was saying, that's what he told me.  I said that took her a long time to say it, and he agreed.  On Friday, she stopped at my poolside lounge, to tell me how she comes to work at 7:15 to 7:30 AM, so she can be there with the small children as they get on the bus.  She isn't supposed to start until 8 AM, but she is so worried about the children getting hit by taxis, and there are no parents around, that she comes early, because she loves the little ones, and wants to keep them safe.  After she completed her circuit, she stopped by my chair again, told me the same story again, and also told me that all the walking that she does with this job has helped her lose 10 kilos.  She loves it, because it has "helped her to look more sexier".  Rich says that whenever she starts talking to me, I should tell her I have to make a call to my husband.  I think I'll wait to see if she says anything funny, and only use that excuse when she launches into the story the second time!    

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home