Friday, March 8, 2013

My First Movie in Singapore

I started Friday the way I usually do; by going to the Tiong Bahru Fresh Market.  Last week, I was greatly disappointed in the selection of plants for sale.  Maybe I went earlier this week, because there was a huge selection.  I was able to buy 4 very large plants, including a Cherry Tomato Plant, for $56.  I was so excited.  My deck is bursting with color!!

Before I left the states, I went to see "Les Miserables".  I knew that it wasn't a movie that Rich wanted to see, but I wanted to see it, and wasn't sure how accessible movies would be in Singapore.  At that show, there was a trailer for a Disney movie called "Oz: The Great and Powerful".  The movie stars James Franco, Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz, and Michelle Williams.  It looked fantastic!  It was scheduled to open in the states on March 8th, but I wasn't sure if it would open at the same time in Singapore.  It actually opened a day earlier, but I didn't go to see it 'til March 8th.  We went online to get IMAX tickets, because I wanted to be sure that I could see it in 3D, right when it opened.  In Singapore, when you order a ticket online, they give you a seating chart, and ask you where you would like to sit.  And Row A is the last row in the theater.  Because it was IMAX 3D, I wanted to be middle/middle.  Middle row, middle seat.  It was strange, because there were only about 15 people in the theatre, and all of the viewers were close to the middle!  During the previews, I thought I might like to be further back, but I wasn't sure if that was allowed.  I'll remember that for the next 3D movie I attend.

At the theatre, there were many food offerings.  There was the usual movie popcorn and soft drink, but there were also other vendors.  There was a tea stand.  There was a place where you could buy a slice of pizza and a drink; and that was cheaper than popcorn and a drink!  There was another stand that sold something that looked like cocktails, but I'm not sure if they were alcoholic or not.

My plants from the Fresh Market

A Panda statue on the way into the theatre
The movie was as fantastic as I had hoped.  It was about how a fraud like Oz could become the ruler of Oz.  The story and effects were phenomenal!  My one caveat is that it might be a little too scary for young viewers.  There were a couple of scenes that make you jump.  But, that said, it is one of those movies that parents appreciate, too.  And this is one movie where the 3D is definitely worth it!  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home