Tuesday, March 19, 2013

2 Visits to the Salvation Army Thrift Store

On Tuesday, Rich encouraged me to go to the Salvation Army Thrift Store to look for bedside tables.   Now, I love resale stores, but I especially love it when Rich gives me his blessing.  That gives me carte blanche to buy whatever I want!  Hopefully, that would make for a very fun shopping experience.

As I headed to the subway, I noticed many of the construction workers from the area lying down in the shade of a nearby building.  When I first noticed these men, I thought they were the homeless, but I came to realize that many of the men nap during their lunch breaks.  The heat probably just wears them out!

When I got to the subway, I realized that I've never commented on the escalators in Singapore.  They are on opposite sides of the ones in the U.S.  In fact, on our first day here, I had to yell, "STOP!" at Rich as he prepared to step up onto an escalator that was headed down toward him!

The Salvation Army Thrift Store appears to be housed in an old school building.  It has many rooms that could be the size of classrooms.  It also has no air conditioning!  It does have many fans, though. The first floor has furniture, sporting equipment, and appliances.  The second floor has clothes, books, toys, decorations, accessories, utensils, and collectibles. I walked through the rooms, looking for bedside tables.   I found some I liked, but I could not find a price.  I wandered up to the second floor to look at pictures for our walls.  I found a whole box of fans to hang on your walls, as well as mother-of-pearl mosaics, wall hangings, framed puzzles, and cross stitch pictures.  I opened every fan, and chose the one I deemed most unusual.  I also took the one wall hanging that was in the box.  I found a bunch of "little old lady carts" in one room, and selected a red one.  Finally, I chose a footstool from the first floor, and paid for all of my purchases.  The man at the counter put my footstool and my art into my new cart and secured it all with plastic string, so I could get it home safely.

My footstool.

The construction workers sleeping during their lunch break.

The "Up" escalator is on the left, and the "Down" is on the right.

Here's Rich at the Thrift Store.

Rich, with some Asian jackets.
My fan.

My wall hanging.

More Asian jackets for Rich.

A "smiley face" toilet cover for Danielle.
On Saturday, Rich and I returned to the store.  This was Rich's first visit, so I directed him there.  We had a lot of fun looking through all the furniture , appliances, and the sporting equipment.  He found the bedside tables I had seen on Tuesday, and found the price.  It turned out that they were $60 each.  They were twice as nice as the ones at Ikea, at half the price!  The woman at the counter tried to interest us in the matching dresser, but we have so many built-in cabinets that we don't need dressers.  I showed Rich some of the interesting Asian clothing items, and we wandered around a bit more, before paying for our purchases, and going to find a cab to take us home.  Rich had fun, but he now knows how hot it is in that store!  After a successful shopping expedition, a big glass of water, and lunch, we headed to the pool to cool off.      

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home