Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Going to Far East Plaza

On Monday, I ventured back to the shopping area on Orchard.  This time, I got off at the right bus stop, and got into the ION building without a hitch.  Once there, I went to Sephora for some beauty items and some nail polish.  My next stop was the Daiso $2 store.  They didn't have what I really wanted, and it was too crowded to browse, so I left.

My real destination was Far East Plaza.  There had been an article in Friday's paper about where women, who are larger than the average Asian woman, can find clothes to fit.  Sign me up!  One of the stores listed was called "Kaylene's" and it was in Far East Plaza.  I am very excited to say that I consulted my map, and was able to wind my way through the underground tunnels successfully!

When I arrived at Far East Plaza, it was obviously a mall that had seen better days.  But that made it fun, too.  I didn't have to worry about any clerks looking at my sweaty self and making me feel unworthy!  I bet you could spend hours in this mall, and still have more to discover.  Every level had at least one food vendor.  There were many, many nail places.  There were tailors and seamstresses everywhere.  There were tattoo parlors, and consignment shops.  It was just so much fun!

When I arrived at Kaylene's, it said it was open, but the door wouldn't budge.  I decided the clerk must have gone to lunch, so I browsed around the floor.  There was a jewelry store that was liquidating to move, so I stopped in.  They had a great variety of costume jewelry that I could see my daughters wearing, as well as some things for me, at great discounted prices.  I hope the girls like the things I got for them.

When I returned to Kaylene's, the clerk was back, and, yes, she was eating her lunch.  I told her that I was looking for tops, and she said that they wouldn't come in until the next week.  She gave me a card, and told me to check their facebook page.  I looked at some dresses before I left, but they weren't exactly what I had in mind.

Before I left the mall, I stopped at a pop-up shop on the first floor.  They had the types of shirts I was looking for!  I found a top, that will prove that I'm Rich's wife.  I also found 2 "Magic Tops".  The shop manager showed me how the top could be worn numerous ways.  I had gotten some little strappy tops when I found 10 tops to fit, and I think these tops will "magically" hide some of my flaws!

Before I returned home, I stopped at a CD shop, to try to find 2 CD's I had read about in the paper.  I did find a CD by a dear friend of mine, and also a CD by one of Joe's friends.  I resisted the urge to try the area's best gelato.  I figured I would be there again for that indulgence.  I wound my way back through the tunnels, and got to the subway - again without a hitch!

As I was walking home, a woman asked me foe directions.  She was staying at a nearby hotel that I know well.  I directed her and walked with her as far as my apartment complex.  I really wish I had taken her across the overpass to the bus stop that would have taken her to her hotel.  It would only be 2 stops, but she was Norway, and she was suffering from the heat as much as I do.  I told her that my husband's ancestors were from Norway, but unfortunately, I couldn't tell her where they were from.  I felt so stupid, and was sure that I was the only person in the family that couldn't name the place.  I am happy to report that wasn't true, as Rich couldn't say where they emigrated from, either!
A CD by my good friend, Bill Evans.

Drinks and Fruit on this level.

Dickie's work apparel.

Tattoo parlor in the background.


A CD by Joe's friend, McFly.

Lots of food vendors, and the pop-up shops on the first floor.  

Rich and I will be a matching pair!

One "Magic Shirt"...

...and the other "Magic Shirt">
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home