Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Buying Orchids at the Botanic Gardens

Sunday, we awoke early to head back to the Botanic Gardens for their Orchid Sale, that had been postponed the previous Sunday.  I made coffee and egg sandwiches, using the eggs from our burgers the previous evening.  I even learned to make toast in our microwave!  I added ham and cheese and lettuce and tomato.  They were delicious - and gave us energy for the task ahead.

Now that we knew where the Orchid Sale is held, I linked into the bus info site to find which bus(es) could get us closest to that entrance.  It told me to take the bus that I take to go to the Fresh Market, but board it going in the opposite direction.That didn't seem logical, until I looked at the route map.  It turns out that that bus would be a much better option for getting to the Botanical Gardens, as well as the big shopping area on Orchard Road.  It's closer than the subway, and I wouldn't have to transfer.  It would have been a good option for going to the theatre on Friday, too.  As a bonus, we passed a Dubliner Pub, so we know of several options for St. Patrick's Day, now.

When we got to the Orchid Sale, they were just setting up.  I thought that the orchids would be sold by the Botanic Gardens themselves, but we found that several vendors were selling the orchids.  We also found out that it was cash only.  So, Rich headed off to find an ATM, while I looked for orchids.  The first vendor with whom we dealt, was very knowledgeable, and had some very unusual orchids.  It seemed as if he was with his mom and his sister.  He was getting a Masters in Horticulture, and could speak English well.  His mom could speak English very little - except for numbers - and his sister could speak enough English to tell me about some of the orchids and give me some prices.  There were some really beautiful orchids that were the same ones I would see at home.  She warned me that they would only bloom for one season, and they would be done.  Maybe that's why I've had such bad luck with orchids.  She also showed me some plants that would bloom continuously, or as she said it, "bloom again, bloom again, bloom again", as she pointed to the new flowers that were starting on the plants.  She also showed me which plants needed full sun, which needed 50% sun, and which needed more shade.  Unfortunately, Rich thought their prices were too high, and he would only let me buy a few plants from them.  I did agree that it felt like a game of "Let's Make a Deal", but I learned quite a bit.  The orchid he chose from the other vendor is beautiful, but it's of the "bloom one time" variety.  As we left, with our arms loaded down with orchids, a taxi was just dropping off some people.  Rich asked me if I wanted to take a cab.  Even though I was dripping, and our arms were full, I knew that the bus stop was close by, and we opted for the bus.

Look at the size of this orchid.  It's as tall as the woman walking by.

Rich, at the entrance to the Singapore Botanic Gardens

Rich, picking out an orchid.

My $85 worth of orchids.

Some flowers we found on the ground outside the gardens.  They smelled like plumeria.  Unfortunately, they were very delicate, and didn't last long.

Another picture of our $85 worth of orchids.

Rich, with his "Fursty Ferret", and his steak.
For dinner on Sunday, I made steaks and asparagus that I had purchased at the Fresh Market, as well as rice from the chicken rice dish I had prepared earlier in the week.  I sauteed some fresh vegetables to add some flavor and nutritional value to the rice.  The good thing about the high food costs here, is that it makes you more creative with leftovers, and less likely to waste food!  Rich finally drank his "Fursty Ferret"Beer, made by Badgers Brewery.  He said it was okay.  It was a little light for his taste.  But no matter; we now have the bottle with a candle in it, as well as "First Gold" by Badgers Brewery, and "Hobgoblin" by Wychwood brewery.  Unless we see other beers made by Badgers Brewery that he wants to try, our collection is complete.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home