Monday, March 18, 2013

Looking for a Barber, and Finding a Pizza Place - and My Most Embarrassing Moment Yet

My goal for Thursday was to find a place for Rich to get his hair cut.  We had now been here for 6 weeks, and his hair was getting quite unruly!  I knew that there was a barber/hair stylist salon in Liang Court, but Rich said there was another place just on the other side of the river, across the bridge.  He also said there was a cool looking coffee house, that might serve lunch, too.

I headed across the bridge after doing water aerobics and showering.  It was warm and overcast; typical for Singapore in the afternoon.  I wandered around the area, trying to locate the barber to which Rich referred.  I couldn't find one.  But I did smell something delightful.  I thought it was bread baking at a Subway restaurant, but it turned out to be an Italian restaurant.  I continued my search for a barber in the area, and when I was sure I had covered the whole area, I went back to the Italian restaurant for lunch.

The restaurant was called "Da Mario Pizzeria & Trattoria".  We had looked at this restaurant earlier, in our quest for nearby Italian restaurants, but had decided against it because there had been many recent bad reviews about the food and service.  But I hadn't remembered the name of the restaurant, and had just followed my nose.

While I was perusing the menu, a waiter came to ask if I would like a table.  My nose said I would!  After I ordered a "Pizza Rustica", they told me that I could have a complimentary soup or salad.  I chose the salad.  I am not sure why people eat soup here, as it is always hot, and you are frequently eating outside.  Anyway, they brought my salad, and some very tasty warm bread.  When I bit into my pizza, I tasted the best pizza I've had since I arrived in Singapore!  I had brought my iPad along, so I read while I ate my lunch.  After awhile, I was finished, and ready for a box, my check and my other errands.  I couldn't get the waiter's attention, but I noticed that it was raining very steadily, so I decided to continue reading.  When it looked as if the rain had stopped, I took care of my bill.

Before I headed off to do my other errands, I wanted to drop off my leftover pizza at home.  I went back to our complex, and up to our 10th floor apartment.  When I got there, I saw 4 pairs of shoes outside the door.  I started freaking.  I assumed that the apartment manager had brought workmen up to our apartment without consulting me.  I was flabbergasted that people were in my apartment without my permission!!!  When I went to put my key into the door, I noticed that the number on the door was 10-15.  I live in 10-23.  I had gone into the wrong entrance!  I had entered Tower A3, rather than Tower A2.  I was SO embarrassed!!!!

My complimentary salad and bread...

...and my "Pizza Rustica".
After dropping my pizza off at the correct apartment, I headed to Liang Court.  I had read about a new book that explores Fort Canning Park in the paper that morning.  Fort Canning Park is right across the road from Liang Court.  That means it's right in my backyard!  I needed to find that book, so I could discover the treasures that were so close by!  I then stopped at the barber to get a card.  They also gave me a card for the hair stylist.  I think she was trying to tell me something!  But, I will be going home to my hair stylist in 2 months, and I need to let my hair grow, so that I can put it up and off my neck in the heat.  I went to the $2 store, and the Japanese grocery store, looking for things for our upcoming barbecue.  When I returned to ground level, I discovered that it was POURING outside.  It was raining so hard that it was difficult to see the other side of the street.  Luckily, there is a McDonald's right near the entrance.  With St. Patrick's Day approaching, I checked their menu to see if they offered Shamrock Shakes.  No luck.  But they were introducing a Blueberry Sundae for $1.50.  Perfect!  I sat in the MickeyD's and ate my sundae, and read my book, while waiting for the rain to let up.  After about half an hour, conditions improved, and I headed home.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home